How to use the Chat Launcher
Now that you’ve set up Chat, the final step before chatting is to set up the Chat Launcher.
What is the Chat Launcher?
The Chat Launcher is a setting that lets you customize when and where your visitors will find the Chat button when they come to your site. The Chat button won’t show to visitors until the Chat Launcher is set.
Note: Activating the Chat Launcher doesn’t make you available to accept Chats. You can read more about how to update your chat availability here.
To enable the Chat Launcher:
- Navigate to Settings or Communicate. If you are initially setting up your Chat, you can also use the onboarding steps through the Chat button in the upper left corner of the app to proceed.
- Click on Chat Settings; this should default to the Appearance setting.
- Select the toggle to the right of the Chat Launcher box. Once toggled on, it will display in blue with an “Active” tag.
With your Chat Launcher enabled, it’s time to customize your settings for the Chat button display, the button type and button positioning.
What do these settings mean? Let’s dive in:
What this sets: When the chat button will display on your site.
- Always: The Chat button will display to visitors regardless of whether you or your team is available to chat. If a visitor clicks on the Chat Button when your team is unavailable to chat, the Away Form will be shown to visitors. If your team is unavailable to chat, the Away Form will show to visitors. This is the recommended setting to ensure that visitors can reach out to you at any time and doesn’t impact your Chat availability. Click here to learn how to make yourself available to chat here.
- When Available: The Chat button will display to visitors if you or your team is available to chat. If no one is available to chat, the Chat button won’t display on your website. Because the Chat button is only triggered by team member availability, the away form won’t display. If a visitor comes to your website and no one is available to Chat, they will need to find an alternative way to communicate with you.
- During Office Hours: The Chat button will display to visitors based on your preset office hours regardless of whether a member of your team is available to chat. If the Chat button is clicked by a visitor and no one is available to chat, the visitor will be shown an away form. These hours can be adjusted in Chat Settings at the bottom of the Appearance settings.
Here is a handy chart to help you find your best Chat display setting:
|Chat Display Question||Always||When Available||During Office Hours|
|When will the Chat button be shown to visitors?||At all times regardless of who is available to chat||When a teammate is available to chat||Throughout the preset business hours set in Chat Settings|
|Is a teammate required to be available to chat for the Chat button to be shown to visitors?||No||Yes||No|
|Can visitors connect with your business at any time?||Yes||Yes; an away form will display if you’re marked yourself as available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week||Yes; an away form will display if your office hours are set to available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week|
|Will the Chat button display at specific hours preset within Chat Settings?||No||No||Yes|
|Will the Away form display if no teammates are available to chat?||Yes||No||Yes|
Button Type Setting
What this sets: What the chat button will look like to visitors
There are two Button Type settings:
The Default Button Type, shown to the left, is the best choice when you want the Chat button to be easily seen by visitors. It is large and easily identifiable. This is the recommended Chat button.
The Minimal Chat Button Type, shown to the left, is the perfect choice when you need to offer Chat without interfering with other elements or features.
Note: Regardless of your choice, the Minimal Chat Button Type will display if you are also utilizing Surveys. Once the Survey has been completed, the Chat button will return to your set Button Type. If visitors decide to minimize the Chat Button on their own, the Minimal Chat Button Type will be displayed to them.
Custom Position setting
What this sets: Where on your webpage the chat button will be displayed
By default, the position of the Chat button will be displayed on the bottom right side of the website. However, you can adjust this to adapt to your specific website:
- Alignment: Pick between left side and right side
- Padding: This adds more or less space between the bottom and side of the Chat bubble
Once your changes are made, click the purple Save Updates button to save your customizations. Any changes will take effect immediately.